Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Magic Bracelet? - WPIX



The Magic Bracelet? - WPIX: "WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, N.Y. - On May 15, 2009 Yankee center fielder Brett Gardner hit an inside the park home run, the first ever at the new Yankee Stadium. What wasn't known at the time was the inspiration behind the rare sports feat. It was a teenage girl named Alyssa Esposito who he had visited in a hospital a few hours earlier. She needed a heart. He needed a hit.



They met at New York Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Center through Project Sunshine, an organization whose volunteers pay visits to sick children. The organization uses bracelets as fund raisers. Eighteen-year-old Alyssa gave a bracelet to Bret, telling PIX News, ' I gave him the bracelet. I said hit a home run. This bracelet will make you hit a home run if you wear it.'

Gardner, the Yankee, was understandably skeptical. 'Alyssa gave me a bracelet and told me it'll make me hit a home run. Yeah, I thought to myself, yeah right, cause I don't hit many home runs.'

But he did that night, and something else happened Alyssa tells PIX. 'That same night I got the call for the heart.'


Today the pair reunited talking about what is now being called the 'magic' Project Sunshine Bracelet."

Read more here and here and here.

No comments: